12 February 2018

Civ 4 18 civs Pangaea test Marathon Monarch episode 7

Kind of a desultory ending to a decent game, the insanity of the first half kind of killed the competition off also their insistence on not researching Rifling - though they had steel Cannons, Airships (in limited supply) and had just gained access to Machine Guns and Steel ships, the land war was what mattered.


Frickin' slaughter here actually makes Lincoln renounce Charlemagne's protection.


^ My allies actually beat me to a variety of locations as we feasted on the Viking-Zulu-Ethiopian Empire.


^ He concedes quite lightly. Mao and Lincoln follow in exact sequence after he goes under.

^  Thought he would be the real big bad.

^ They all have NICE technologies.


^ Rameses looking chuffed. Top score and managed to displace one of my early win Roman games. Might return with either Earth map or another crazy 18 civ random script map next time. This was good fun and I was probably lucky not have got dog-piled by advanced civs earlier in the game. Weak or dead neighbours also played a part and the West never consolidating but remaining fractured yet advanced hurt any chance of a real foe. I recall a Pangaea game where Bismarck vassal'd have the continent while I killed off two people and was forced to fight him and his many subordinates. I had to go through Japan to get to him and managed to isolate and destroy his stack which broke his hold over his vassals and the game just turned completely my way.

Stack of Dooms are huge in this game, a huge part that is but as warfare gets more complex toward the end there can be numerous smaller armies but there is always that one main force to attack or run away from. It can be really satisfying to destroy an equally matched or superior force by manoeuvre and good use of collateral damage from siege weapons and flanking from mounted forces. I was lucky they never bothered with Rifling (sometimes they do focus on it or acquire it through various means) else I would have much farther to go, though my domestic situation was just starting to calm down post-slavery and post-draft.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What I've been playing lately #2 two posts a month #3

  I have been sort of half-playing games lately, here are some of them. Final Fantasy XII I hadn’t played this since 2019 or so on my old la...